Thursday, April 22, 2010

Overheard...

Imagine your Faithful Correspondent, drifting up from the depths of somnolence this morning...the windows are closed, so there is no lilting chirp of busy robins to herald the start of a fresh, new day...

No, instead, I reach complete consciousness as the following exchange becomes too loud to ignore...

[Salient information: Regrettably, John recently lost his prized Nintendo DS handheld game...I think this was once known as a GameBoy, but that is SO passe! Annoyingly, Miss Cee has Her Own Personal DS, which she doesn't hesitate to play with in front of John. In fairness, she sometimes allows him to use it, mainly to discern how he achieves higher levels in the game...but, alas, her inherently mercurial temperament means that one never knows when she might be coaxed into a Sharing Mood.]

JOHN: Cecily! That's not fair! You said I could...

MISS CEE: *imagine Smug Smirk*

JOHN: [threateningly] If you don't share...I'm going to get MOM!!!

MISS CEE: *imagine Smug Shrug*

[Momentary inaudible verbal skirmish...]

MISS CEE: [singing] Take ME out to the BALL game, Take MEE out--

JOHN: [more threateningly] CECILY!!! Stop singing!!!!!!!!!

MISS CEE: --to the--

JOHN: [now sputtering] Cecily...

MISS CEE:--show!--Owww! This is MY DS!

JOHN: I'm ALMOST at the next level...

MISS CEE: I'M playing now.

JOHN: OK, get OUT!

MISS CEE: No! [impossibly high-pitched giggle]

*sounds of alternatly playful and ominous tussling*

MISS CEE: Oweeeee!

JOHN: Eeeeee-eeeeeeee-eeeee...

MISS CEE: Hahahaha....you can't get me...

JOHN: Hey, Cecily...I'll let you play with my gerbils....

*Imagine tiny, fragile gerbils quaking with fear*

No comments:

Post a Comment